Pages

Saturday, June 23, 2012

What's Playing (Text Review) - Brave



Yeah, pretty much what I made here can sum up my feelings towards the movie.  Disney/Pixar's Brave is a film that I have been waiting for.  Combining the beautiful 3D animation I know Pixar is capable of, the interesting and whimsical story that Disney has done before, and creating a character that I can hold dear to my heart.

Like most Disney Princesses, Merida (Kelly Macdonald) wishes for something more in her life and wants to become her own legend.  Unfortunately her mother Queen Elinor (Emma Thompson) wants her to continue the tradition of royalty and molds her into a primped and proper princess.  After an argument between the two, Merida winds up in a witch's den and seeks out a potion or spell to help change her fate.

This story really touched me as I can remember and reflect the decisions I have made myself into becoming the man I am today. There could have been times I could gone one way, but decided to do another and this film can help lead some of the younger crowd come to that realization. Merida wants to shape her own destiny but she learns that the people around you can help make the mold as well.  Her mother is a powerful character that is written very well and I can tell that she wants the all the best things for her daughter.

The most surprising thing I'll say in this review is that, the 3D is actually really used well.  It offers a lot of depth and and exposure to this Celtic land and it fully immerses you in the experience of everything.  The comedy is also really well done as there was never a dull moment with any of the characters, especially Merida's little triplet brothers, who actually never speak in the movie and had their actions speak louder than their words.

Harris, Hubert, & Hamish...not sure which one is which.
Some of the comedy may be a little risque for some viewers so I advise parents to take heed when seeing this with your children.  There are also some moments where things do get a tad scarier than normal Pixar films.  However this movie will keep you entertained throughout and I urge everyone to see it.


My Rating for Brave:

9/10

P.S. I should get a video out fairly soon of some older movies I saw in the theater, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment