Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My First Reaction: PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES TRAILER(S)


To tell the truth there are two trailers for this movie, both which I have see.  The first one being probably the best example of a teaser trailer, where it shows you nothing at all.  All it has is Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp), and all he does is talk about what to expect on his next voyage, the dangers, the rewards, and everything in between.  It showed nothing of the actual movie, simply put, I loved it and it gave me some hope of keeping things under lock and key until it was released.The second trailer however, ruined my high expectations of it being a good film.  It's basically the teaser, plus some more stuff.

Jack seems to be gathering a crew to find the Fountain of Youth, which gives the drinker of its water eternal life, or reverts them to a young child, the joke we often see whenever the Fountain is used.  I won't be surprised if that actually happens in this movie.  From what I can tell some time has passed since the last movie and this one, as we see Captain Barbossa wearing a military uniform and sporting not one, but TWO peg-legs.  How he's standing on his own is still a mystery to me.  The one thing I can say about this movie is that both Johnny Depp and Geoffery Rush are back as their respective characters, which I do like because I find the back-and-forth of the characters when they argue.  Other characters like Mr. Gibbs also make a comeback, so I can give the writers credit on keeping things familiar, and not going through the hassle of creating new characters.  Also, Keith Richards returns to play Captain Teague, Jack's father, for....some reason.  Seriously why is he back? Anyway, the newest characters I can tell are obvious villains are British officials, similar to the East India Trading Co.  and the primary villain of the movie just happens to be the most feared pirated of all time! Captain Edward Teach, or better known as BLACKBEARD!  He is played by Ian McShane, who you may know from such films as Hot Rod and also lending his voice to animated movies like Coraline and Kung Fu Panda.  There are also an unnamed female pirate played by Penelope Cruz, who may be a legitimate love interest for Jack Sparrow.

So far, I'm not expecting to much from this movie.  I'm a huge fan of this franchise and I think all the movies have certain flaws to it, but all still had great things to them as well.  I guess next summer, we'll see if the ship can sail one more time.

(Oh, and on side note, the trailer says it's going to be in Disney 3D, and to that I say, F$%& THAT!!! I like Jack Sparrow and all, but I'm not paying $15 for a movie ticket to see him.)

The Teaser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udsGWNnxLQA

The Longer Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP49YXsy8SQ

No comments:

Post a Comment